There are many job opportunities in retail. If you apply for a job in one of the big companies, like Target, K-Mart or Walmart, they will always ask you about the reason why you want to work for them.
It is obvious that job seekers submit their applications to many companies, trying to improve their chances of getting a job at the end of their job search. However, recruiters should not get the feeling that the interview you have with them means nothing to you…. You should try to make them feeling special, or at least convince them that they are your favorite retailer.
You should focus on the following things in your answer:
- Your personal preference. Do you shop with them? Does your family do? Why do you prefer them?
- Vision and branding of the company. What makes this retailer unique in your eyes? Why should people go there, and not somewhere else to do their shopping? Why would you be proud of working for them, and not for another company?
- Location. Is the store near your flat? It is located in an easily accessible area?
I typically shop here. I really like the way the staff approaches customers, as well as the working conditions. I think the working environment here is better than at other big retailers, and that is the reason for my preferences of your brand.
This is the most popular retail brand in the United States. You do your best to offer wide range of products for wide range of shoppers, and I would be proud of belonging to your team.
I typically shop here. It is just ten minutes walk from my place. Therefor it will be very convenient for me to have this job. What is more, if I needed to replace someone, or come to work at an unexpected time, it wouldn’t be a problem. Manager could simply call me and I would come twenty minutes, if needed.
- This job is repetitive. What would motivate you to do it well every day?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses?